We are over the hump now and the pace is picking up! It is Week 4 of the six-week One Room Challenge WooHoo! We are making more noticeable progress now and the end is in sight.
My DIY King Headboard from Old Store Door
Getting it Right…
The original door that I have been saving for months that I absolutely loved was moved by “someone” to an uncovered area where it basically rotted away. So freaking sad. So, I pulled up my big girl panties and headed to the local Habitat for Humanity Restore where I found a vintage double store door for $10 a piece that would serve the purpose of a king-sized headboard. I actually only ended up using one so I will have the other for a future project if it doesn’t get moved by “someone”, lol.
I wanted it to be symmetrical so I trimmed a few inches off the bottom with my circular saw. I also pried a piece of trim off where the two doors would have closed together and put it to the side for later in this project.
I measured my bed frame and needed to add two inches back to the width of the headboard so a predrilled and used woodscrews to attach 1x4s to each end at the height that I predetermined I wanted it to end up at.
Then I predrilled and attached 2x4s to the backside to both stabilize this heavy piece and have something to attach to the bed frame itself.
I used the trim I previously removed to add to the back of the headboard top and cover the open space.
Ready to Prep and Paint!
So Much Sanding and So Much Paint!
It took me THREE HOURS to sand through the original paint. I don’t always sand so much off, but for my finished look, I wanted to be able to get to some wood.
After sanded down to my satisfaction, wiping off the dust, I began the painting.
I used paint that I had on hand already, all latex based.
The first layer was a brighter turquoise. This layer usually shows the least but I wanted it to pop. The next layer was a darker blue to contrast the first layer. The third layer was pale pink, again to contrast the previous layer. I like lights and darks against each other to make each layer stand on its own. The top two layers are painted in the same color as our bedroom trim paint which is a really dark blue, close to black.
Experimenting with the Finish…
Starting with coarse sandpaper, I sanded back the spots I wanted to the wood. Then medium sandpaper to cut through fo the colors I want to expose. You can see that I played…a lot. Honestly, I’m still not sure I’m done, lol. Only time will tell.
The (Maybe) Finished Bed…
This week we will be doing lighting and starting the sliding doors so check back next week!