I’m not a lover of cold weather, but hot soups like Easiest Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup help ease my disdain. I have made a few variances of chicken tortilla soup over the years. This hearty version has been the culmination of my favorite parts. It is so quick and easy to put together and still so healthy!Jump to Recipe
I love to make a big pot of hearty chicken tortilla soup and eat off of it for a couple days. It is one of those dishes that gets better as the flavors meld.
Not being a big fan of mushy beans myself, I’m usually drawn to the firmer skinned beans and hadn’t ever tried cannellini beans, whole or blended until I happened upon some other recipes that used the beans blended to make a thicker base. Perfect for this chicken tortilla soup!
I like this soup as shown, but my husband and kids like to heap on shredded cheese and a splash of plain Greek yogurt.
Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast cubed
- 2 tsp ground cumin seed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans puree entire can
- 2 15 oz can black beans (I used reduced sodium) drained and rinsed
- 2 10 oz can Rotel diced tomatoes and chilies (I used no salt added)
- 1 12 oz bag frozen sweet corn
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook until lightly translucent. Add cubed chicken breast, ground cumin, and salt. Cook until chicken is almost done. Add pureed can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed black beans, Rotel, and corn to the pot with chicken.Once heated through, add fresh cilantro, lime juice, cover and simmer on low heat until ready. Salt and pepper to taste.You can serve with tortilla chips or strips, grated cheese, sour cream, or plain greek yogurt (not included in calorie calculations).
My version is 294 calories; 34 carbs; 6 fat; 25 protein; 6 sugar; 8 fiber.